Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hidden Lessons from General Convention

I’m profoundly disappointed. So, it seems, is just about everyone else. And maybe that’s the single best thing to come out of the Episcopal Church’s General Convention.

After days of discussion, the convention passed Resolution B033, which calls for restraint in consecrating bishops “whose manner of life presents a challenge to the wider church.” That “wider church,” in the form of the Windsor Report, had called for an outright moratorium on the consecration of gay and lesbian bishops.

“Liberals,” like me, are disappointed that it’s a step back from full inclusion of gays and lesbians in the church. “Conservatives” complain that it leaves too much room for the church to go forward in ordaining gays and lesbians.

Do I detect the aroma of the will of God in here?

Might it be a stroke of divine brilliance to allow passage of a resolution that ticks everyone off? Might God be using that disappointment and anger to give us a jolt, force us out of our own heads, and consider new ways to be the worldwide church?

Maybe it’s just me. This morning, mulling over my own disappointment, I realized that I’ve become too attached to the results of this Convention. It’s taken over too much of my thought life, as though the entirety of human history depended on its outcome. And though I have prayed for God’s wisdom to prevail, I ended up surprised when that wisdom turned out so much different from anything I had thought.

Maybe what I’m saying, bottom line, is that I didn’t quite let God be God enough.

Please don’t get me wrong. The issues considered at General Convention are very important. They touch on things at the heart of our faith: issues of justice, of mercy, of just how you interpret Scripture, of how we can disagree and still be the church.

That last part is important, because technically, as of right now, we’re still all related to one another, church-wise. And because of that, we have to keep talking—and listening—to those we so deeply disagree with. It’s such hard work. It hurts like hell sometimes. But I really think that dialogue, and prayer, will be the only things that see us through.

No comments: