Friday, November 24, 2006

What Vocation Looks Like, or Why Am I Writing This Blog?

Way back when, in the very first post, I half-kiddingly wrote that “God told me to start a blog.”

Did he really?

I have many, many doubts about this call to write. Somehow my musings don’t seem useful (but in what sense of the word?). Sometimes I seem to be casting about for topics. Sometimes I’m not sure whether I’m “supposed” to write when I don’t “feel” the movement of the Spirit.

And yet…

Whenever I sit down to write an entry, I feel a verve running through me—an aliveness, if you will. A sense that this is precisely the right thing to do at precisely this stage of my life. I do not know where this is headed. I do not know whether a book will come out of it, or an avocation in spiritual writing, or nothing at all. I seem to have been left with nothing but the writing itself.

Perhaps this is what vocation looks like. You find out a little at a time. You feel your way in the dark. You remain faithful to what you’ve been asked to do, with no concern for results.

And who said “did he really?” in the first place? Was it not the serpent?

No comments: