Monday, October 27, 2008

How Do We Know What We Know About God?

Almost every day, I exchange emails about God with a longtime friend of mine. Over the years, he has become reformed in his theology and literal in his reading of scripture. I am neither, and that makes for some spirited emails.

His last email reaffirmed his belief in sola scriptura (“scripture alone”) as the first and best source of knowledge about God. That led me to start wondering just what I believe. I see the Bible as too full of contradictions, counterpoints, and cross-currents for all of it to be entirely, literally from the finger of God. And yet I do think it contains enough sacred wisdom to be taken seriously and thoughtfully.

Then it hit me: maybe the best way to know about God is to know God.

Isn’t this true of our human relationships? We can hear about someone from her friends and professional colleagues. We can Google her to learn about her background. We can read what others have written about her. But there is no better way to know the person than to build a relationship with her.

That explains why prayer, especially silent or contemplative prayer, is so valuable to the life of faith: it puts us in touch with the Source of all things. We open ourselves to God. God opens himself to us. When we enter that space of prayer deeply, day by day, year by year, we become intimately acquainted with the God of all things.

It is a relationship.

And out of that relationship, we can begin to approach faith’s other “ways of knowing”: scriptures, the writing of sages and theologians, the wisdom inherent in tradition, and our own experience. We see everything through the lens of our deep connection with God.

Here’s an example. The book of Exodus tells a story (4:24-26) in which God meets Moses and tries to kill him. My literalist friend, taking this story as a historical account, seeks to figure out why God would, with no apparent motive, kill the servant he sent to liberate Israel the chapter before. Because the story mentions circumcision as the palliative that averts God’s anger, my friend ties it into the Jewish law requiring circumcision for the men of Israel.

Meanwhile, I read this story and see nothing that resembles the God I’ve come to know. I turn the story every which way, seeking some metaphor or symbolic meaning that I can draw from the text. I get nothing, so I assume the story was either an erroneous insertion or perhaps a fragment of a larger story whose context might make sense of it.

Notice something here. Both of us wrestled with the text. Both of us tried to find meaning in the story. I do think it’s important to take these stories seriously, because otherwise we might miss the great wisdom they hold. In addition, our reading of scripture, in its turn, can shape the understanding of God that comes from our personal connection—just as our friends’ insights into someone can help us see something in her that we might not have seen otherwise.

But by starting with the relationship and incorporating the rest, we give ourselves a more flexible way to understand our faith tradition and apply it creatively to a time and a culture that are so very different from the land of Canaan millennia ago. This “relationship epistemology” may, in the long run, make our faith more relevant to confront the world’s most pressing problems and more accessible to the seekers of our own age.

P.S. One other little twist about the developing a deep connection with God: it can turn your life upside down. We’ll dig into that in another post.

6 comments:

mais said...

well, i think you hit the nail on the head with that one! you are including this (expanded, of course) in your book, aren't you? because what you're really talking about here is dialogue and about opening yourself up to get to know the other person (God, in this case) so that you can better understand their argument or where they're coming from or why they're trying to kill Moses. Why the heck did he try to kill Moses, anyway? How do you rectify a story like that with no obvious symbolic or literal meaning that does not match the God you know? It seems like hearing something terrible about your best friend but because you know that person, you don't believe what you heard, but it still leaves an inkling of doubt, or changes the way you look at that person slightly. Is this the case with God? And unlike with a friend, you can't really ask God outright why he tried to kill Moses. So what does one do with that question left unanswered? That seems like an important issue to me, especially for someone just starting out in building the relationship with God. In this situation, your friend's way almost seems to make more sense, to tie it into other parts of scripture, though I like your approach to God and scripture better. Yet how do you rectify those many moments in the Bible where God does not act as you, through your relationship, expect him to (where there's no obvious symbolic meaning)? Just curious.

John Backman said...

I think this is one of the more difficult quandaries of faith. I know I drive myself nuts trying to hold all this stuff in my head (let's see...God is love, God is just, God tried to kill Moses....AAAAAUGH!). I think perhaps part of the answer is to go with the relationship--with what we've experienced of God already, through our own connection with God as well as through the Bible, etc.--and hold the conflicting stuff lightly, knowing that God is ultimately mysterious and human writers are fallible. I keep coming back to St. Paul's words to the Philippians: after going on about how he continually strives for greater spiritual maturity, he offers this practical advice: "Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind (i.e., pressing on to know God more and become more mature); and if you think differently about anything, this too God will reveal to you. Only let us hold fast to what we have already attained" (Phillippians 3:15-16). In other words, keep on going with what you've learned so far, and learn more as you go, a little at a time.

Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself that I don't need to resolve all this stuff in my head. It's God's business to make sure all this makes sense out there in the universe; my job is to follow where God leads. That relaxes me and puts the focus back on doing God's will, and on the relationship (well, it relaxes me to the extent I can do it, which is rare).

Nancy said...

I'd like to challenge you to go back to the Hebrew [and also Torah commentaries] to gain a better understanding of the text. After studying Torah for over a year I've come to a strong realization that our English (and Christian) translations really distort and contradict the original works and meaning. Sometimes the commentaries are way off but at other times they are right on.

That being said I totally agree that it's all about relationships and especially our relationship with God.

Nancy said...

I'd like to challenge you to go back to the Hebrew [and also Torah commentaries] to gain a better understanding of the text. After studying Torah for over a year I've come to a strong realization that our English (and Christian) translations really distort and contradict the original works and meaning. Sometimes the commentaries are way off but at other times they are right on.

That being said I totally agree that it's all about relationships and especially our relationship with God.

Sarah D said...

A beautiful post as always, John. Sometimes I find myself struggling with the text. When I do, I go back to prayer, trying to sort through the meanings of the Scriptures and my own life and relationship with God. I find myself more comforted and Present in prayer than I have in a Bible study.

One of the many problems I've had with my faith is finding other like-minded people to share my journey. That in part is why I began liedownandsleep and why I became Quaker. What do I know about God? I know He is Love incarnate, He is Divine, and He is willing to support me and answer my prayers. I also believe He listens and gives me messages in my life to help me sort out what it means to be human. It's a funny thing, this human business, isn't it? When we think we have something figured out, we don't. Humanity is such a gift and we do well to treat it as such.

Thanks for another insightful post.

Peace and grace,
Sarah

John Backman said...

I couldn't have said it any better, Sarah Rachel. I've been thinking lately that if I have to leave the Episcopal Church for whatever reason, Quakerism might be the way to go for me. The idea of gathering in silence and listening for the Spirit of God is so very attractive.